Potatoes are my absolute weakness when it comes to the ‘unhealthier’ side of food. And I say potato because trying to pick between fries or chips is an impossible task and I refuse to do it. Honestly, McDonald fries powered every essay I had to write in college, so it was necessary to come up with a healthier option to have with meals. These seasoned skinny fries make for the perfect side dish!
*This post contains affiliate links which means if you purchase one of the products I may receive monetary compensation at NO extra cost to you!
I first got a spiralizer to play with making noodles out of vegetables since regular pasta is a no-go these days. I had NO idea I would use it for so much more though! It works for potatoes like with this recipe which I make at least every other week. My family is making a game with all the different things we can try to make using it. It’s definitely become a staple tool in our kitchen so if you’ve been considering it I definitely say take the plunge! You can start with one like this .
- cooking spray
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce (I use this one)
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 large potatoes
1. Preheat oven to 425° and spray a baking sheet with cooking spray
2. Cut potatoes into spirals using a spiralizer. Cut the spirals into smaller lengths.
3. Place potatoes in a large bowl and add all seasonings- olive oil, onion powder, hot sauce, garlic powder
4. Mix until potato is evenly coated
5. Spread out onto sprayed baking sheet. Try to get it as thin as possible so the potato is close to a single layer
6. Bake in oven for 8 minutes
7. Pull it out and flip it all, a spatula works best, and then place back in the over for 8 more minutes
8. Serve and eat! The best part!
One of the things I really like about this recipe is that the fries have a good flavor that isn’t salty. Pretty sure I’m in the minority here but my biggest complaint is ALWAYS fries having too much salt. Give me spice before salt any day. It’s subtle enough though that it will go with anything you may have as a main dish.
The new season of Grace & Frankie comes out on Netflix today which means there’s a good chance I’m making these fries to snack on while binging the show. If you haven’t watched it you HAVE to go start the first season right now!! It is one of my favorite shows on TV right now and it makes me genuinely laugh the whole time. If you do watch it let me know in the comments so we can talk all about how amazing it is!!
Make sure to follow me on Instagram @alisonsteck
Links to all of my social media are on the home page!