Combining marshmallow’s and M&M’s is pretty much a guaranteed delicious sugar rush. I shot pictures for this in the afternoon and literally seconds after taking my last pic it was being taken over and eaten by family members. Different candied popcorn has always been a big dessert for us but this one has been a hit ever since the first batch. Like most of my favorites it does not take very long and doesn’t even need an oven to bake. It’s also naturally gluten-free and easily made dairy-free so it’s good if you have an event or anything where food allergies can be an issue!
**This post contains affiliate links, which means if you click on a link and purchase the product I may receive monetary compensation at NO extra cost to you.
- 1/2 cup popcorn kernels
- 1/4 cup butter/dairy-free substitute(Nucoa is my go-to. I have boxes stockpiled lol)
- 3 cups mini marshmallows
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- mini M&M’s
- Pop the popcorn (We use our air popper regularly–I recommend this Cuisinart if you’re considering getting one)
- Remove all the un-popped kernels. This is the most annoying part but it’s very necessary so you don’t bite in and crunch your teeth once its all mixed together!
- Melt butter in a sauce pan on medium heat
- Add in marshmallows and stir until melted
- Remove from heat and mix in vanilla extract
6. Pour marshmallow mixture over popcorn and stir until covered. Be warned that it’s really sticky!
7. Spread popcorn mixture out on parchment paper lined cookie sheet
8. Sprinkle M&M’s over top. (Make sure to do this while everything is still warm so they stick).
You can add as little or as much as you want but when it comes to chocolate my philosophy is always more is better!
It stays sticky so the best way to eat it is to just pull off chunks with your hands. If it lasts long enough to need storage anything air tight will work-plastic bags or containers.
The interesting thing about this recipe is the taste isn’t overwhelming so your first bites don’t feel that special. The very first time I made it we all thought it was good but not great until we realized we couldn’t stop eating it and it was gone within a few hours! Now it’s requested all the time so it’s definitely something that grows on you.
I think I have nearly all of my Christmas shopping done which is so exciting! I’m a planner in general so not having to stress about buying presents close to Christmas is a huge relief. We just put the first presents under our tree, but since it’s our first Christmas with one of our dogs we put her present down first to see if she goes after it or if other gifts will be safe! She watched us wrap it though so I don’t know if she’ll be able to help herself or if that new toy will be too much temptation! We don’t have any young kids around so our dogs have to be the source of entertainment opening presents.
Make sure to follow me on Instagram and Twitter @alisonsteck
Links to all of my social media are on the home page