It’s Thanksgiving week which means holiday season is here! One of the hardest parts of the next few weeks can be navigating through gift giving. From acquaintances to best friends it can get overwhelming quickly so I wanted to share with you my family’s go-to solution. We’ve actually had to retire it because so many of the people we gave it to then asked for the directions so they could use it too and we all had to stop before our cupboards were full of nothing but mugs for various holidays!
Cake In A Cup is fairly simple-you find a cute mug, make the dry mixes, and wrap it up. Then the person you give it to gets a tasty treat that only takes 3 ingredients and no more than 5 minutes to make, plus a cute cup to keep. One of the best things about this gift is how easy it is to personalize it since you can make a big batch of the dry mixes and then simply pick out cups that match the individual people. You can do something themed based off of their job(hello perfect teacher gift!), based off the holiday, or friends which is usually the easiest because you know their likes or sense of humor. Also you can pick what flavor cake combo to do, I tend to stick with chocolate but at the end of this post there’s a list of different flavor combos you can try.
To make you need:
- 1 box cake mix
- 1 box instant pudding
- Powdered sugar
- Coffee cup
- Small plastic bags
- recipe-card (print this out and attach it to the cup so the gift receiver can back the cake)
- Place dry cake mix and dry pudding mix into a large bowl and blend well with a whisk
- Place ½ cup of dry mix into a small plastic bag. Tie it closed with ribbon or twist-tie. Label ‘Cake Mix’.
- Mix ¼ cup powdered sugar and 1 teaspoon cocoa in a small bowl.
- Place into a small plastic bag. Tie it closed with ribbon or twist-tie. Label ‘Glaze’.
- Attach 1 ‘Glaze’ mix to 1 ‘Cake Mix’, and add 1 recipe card with ribbon.
- *You can gift the cup like this or wrap it all up in cellophane and add a bow
That’s it! I used a 15.25 oz box of cake mix and 3.9 oz instant pudding and it made enough dry mix for 8 different cups. So that’s 8 gifts done in about 30 minutes-unless you’re like me and always have to keep enough mix to make yourself a cake or 2…
-Lemon cake mix/Lemon pudding
-Yellow cake mix/Chocolate pudding
-Devil’s food cake/Chocolate pudding (This is my go-to!)
-Pineapple cake mix/Coconut cream pudding
-Butterscotch cake mix/Butterscotch pudding
If you have any questions please leave a comment and I’ll get back to you quickly!
Make sure to follow me on Instagram and Twitter @alisonsteck